Our certified swim instructors offer a wide variety of swim lessons for individuals of all ages. The class curriculum is designed for children ages 6 months to adult. Benchmarks are established at each stage in the program that combines both swimming and safety skills. Each class encourages learning through activities that allow students to explore the water in a creative and comfortable environment.
Octopus Class (Recommended for children 6 months – 3 yrs). This class works with parents and their child to help them become more comfortable in the water. Parents will learn how to hold and interact with their child in a safe and productive manner.
Will help children learn:
- To be comfortable in the water
- Instruction in the water
- Float in a rescue position
- Proper kick
- Exiting the pool
Jellyfish Class (Recommended for children ages 2.5 – 5 yrs.) This class will prepare the student to be in and around water.
Upon completing this class students will be comfortable:
- Submerging their head underwater
- Performing assisted streamline with face in the water
- Retrieve objects 2 ft under water
- Float on back 5 – 10 seconds
- Jump off the side of the pool then recover into a back-float position
- Climb out of the pool on their own
The Pufferfish Class is for students who can float on their back for 5-10 seconds and are comfortable putting their face in the water. Students in this class should have the skills learned in Jellyfish.
Upon completion of this level students should be able to:
- Push off the wall in a front glide (unassisted)
- Perform a basic freestyle stroke for 5 ft
- Roll to their back on their own
- Float on their back with a supporting kick
- Retrieve objects 3-4 ft deep with assistance
The Seahorse Class level students should be able to swim a basic freestyle for at least 5 feet.
Upon completion of this level students will be able to:
- Swim freestyle for 15 feet
- Retrieve an object from a depth of 4 feet
- Push off the wall in a back-glide, and kick for 5-10 feet
- Demonstrate a supported backstroke
- Elementary backstroke 10 feet
Upon completion of the Clownfish Class, students will be able to swim 25 yards in freestyle and backstroke, making them eligible to join the TAAF Muscle Swim Team.
In the Clownfish Class students will:
- Continue to perfect their freestyle
- Learn side breathing
- Swim backstroke
- Tread water for 30 seconds
- Learn to surface dive and swim underwater through a hoop
The Manatee level is for swimmers looking to further advance their skills. Most of this class will be held in the Lap Pool. Students will consistently swim 25 yards.
- Perfect freestyle rhythmic breathing
- freestyle and backstroke flip turns
- breaststroke arms
- butterfly kick
The Shark Level Class is reserved for swimmers who are interested in competitive swimming. Most of this class will be held in the Lap Pool. Students will consistently swim 25 yards.
Students at this level will Learn:
- Breaststroke legs and rhythm
- Butterfly arms with the kick
- Open turns
- Proper racing starts
- Refine freestyle and backstroke